Dr. S. SURESH, Ph.D.,
Professor & Head
Unit of Entomology
The unit of entomology of Tamil Nadu Rice Research Institute, Aduthurai includes Agricultural entomologists and Plant Nematologist, engaged in diverse research focusing on plant pests including nematodes and their interaction with rice ecosystem.
FUTURE THRUST AREA
Yellow stem borer (YSB)
BROWN PLANT HOPPER
RICE LEAF FOLDER
EXTERNALLY FUNDED SCHEME
Host Plant Resistance
a. Brown PlantHopper
· Among the 90 AICRIP entries (Plant Hopper Screening) screened for reaction against BPH under net house condition, the entries viz., CR 3006-8-2, CR 2459-12-8, KAUM 179-1, KAUM 179-2 were found to be resistant .
· Among the 20 AICRIP entries (Plant Hopper Screening Special) screened for reaction against BPH under net house condition, the entry no. 16 (OM 4498) & 17 (RP 2068-18-3-5) were found to be resistant .
· Among 30 entries screened for multiple resistance against pests, the entries KAUM 166-2 (4.0 %), RNR 15038 (3.9%), RNR 15048 (4.0 %), RP Bio 4918-142 (4.2%), RP Bio 4919-198 (4.1%), RP Bio 4919-50-12 (3.6 %), RP Bio 4919-363-5 (4.6 %), W1263 (4.7 %) recorded the lowest white ear damage.
· Under MLT, among 40 entries screened for reaction against stemborer, the entry CB 09533 & ADT (R) 45 are free from dead heart damage as against entry CR 1009 (18.9%) and ADT 39 recorded lowest white ear damage of 2.6 % as against 17.8 % in entry TNAU (Rice )ADT 50.
· Under MLT, among 11 entries (Coimbatore) screened, the entry TNTRH 39 (0.6 %), entry Co 50 (1.4%), entry Co RH 4 (2.1%) recorded lower dead heart damage as against 7.2 % in entry TNRH 243.
· Under ART 18 entries (Aduthurai) screened, entry TM 07335 (2.4%), TNAU Rice Co 51 (3.9 %) and AS10024 (4.2%) recorded lower dead heart as against 32.5 % in entry TM 05091. The entry TM 07335 (5.4%) recorded low white ear damage as against 17.9 % in entry CR 1009.
· Among 40 MLT entries screened for reaction against leaffolder, the entry ADT 43 (0.3%), CB10553 (0.8%) and TP08045 (0.8 %) recorded low leaf damage as against 15.5 % in CB 09022-Gm1.
· Among 6 entries (Trichy) screened, entry TRY 3 recorded low leaf damage (4.2 %) as against 12.2 % in entry TR05-043.
· Among 18 ART entries screened, entry TM 05091 (2.3 %), CR 1009 (2.4 %), AS 10024 (3.7%) recorded lower leaf damage as against 19.7 % in entry no. AD 07250.
ii. Chemical control
· Two season field trials on testing the efficacy of Ek boond, an efficacy enhancer revealed that the application of acephate + Ek boond @ 526 g + 200 ml /ha at 50 DAT recorded the lowest damage to earheads (2.4 %) as against 7.3 % in untreated check and there was no significant among the treatments. Tank mixing of the efficacy enhancer viz., Ek Boond with different insecticides has not increased the efficacy when they are used with different insecticides .
iii. Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
· Adoption of IPM components resulted in net saving of Rs. 3000/ha towards plant protection cost as against Farmers Practice. The BC ratio was 1: 2.3 in IPM as against 1:2.1 in Farmers Practice. The population of natural enemies was higher in IPM than Farmers Practice.
· Pheromone monitoring of rice yellow Stemborer resulted in maximum weekly mean trap catches of 10 adults / trap was observed in the last week of November 2013 (21.11.2013 to 28.11.2013) in RTPD –NICRA villages in Kumbakonam block whereas it was in the second week of October 2013 in experimental station- TRRI, Aduthurai
v. Change in Pest Scenario
· Outbreak of rice mealybug, Brevennia rehi was observed in direct sown rice in Kilvelur block of Nagapattinam. The situations favored the outbreak were prolonged dry spell for period of 2 -3 weeks and high weed density.
· Outbreak of Brown Planthopper was observed in and around Maruthuvakudi,vadavamattam,kuttallam due to cloudy weather coupled with high relative humidity,increased use of nitrogenous fertilisers during December,2014.
· Valarmathi, P., R.Rabindran ,R.Velazhahan, S. Suresh and S.Robin 2013. Molecular detection of rice tungro disease from the infected samples of Tamil Nadu, Madras agric. J., (Special. Issue, May )148-152
· Valarmathi, P., R.Rabindran , R.Velazhahan, S. Suresh and S.Robin 2013.First report of rice leaf disease phytoplasma (16Sr I) in rice (Oryza sativa) in India. Australasian Plant dis. (Notes.DOI10.1007/S13314-013-0117-7)
· Indira kumar ,K., J.S. Kennedy & S.Suresh .2014 laboratory evaluation of Beauveria bassiana (Balsamo) Vuiillning against crawler stage of Paracoccus marginatus (Williams & Granada de Willink) Trends in Biosciences 7 (2): 246-249
· Mathirajan, V.G. and S. Suresh. 2014. Status of Natural Egg Parasitization of Rice Yellow StemBorer, Scirpophaga incertulas (Walker) at Tamil Nadu Rice Research Institute Farm. In: 4th International Rice Congress, Bangkok, Thailand Oct. 26- Dec.1, 2014. Poster number 307
· bey; Muha;r;rp epiya ntshz;ik mjpfhhpfs;. bew;gaphpy; Fiynehia fl;Lg;gLj;Jk; Kiwfs;. jpdfud;; / jpUr;rp 18.05.2014.
· Rnu#.; rP./ kjpuh$d;/ bt.nfh./ uh$g;gd;. fh kw;Wk; ,uh. ,uhn$e;jpud;. bew;gaphpy; Fiyneha;/ gilg;g[Gtpd; jhf;Fjiy fl;Lg;gLj;Jk; Kiwfs;. jpdkyh; / jpUr;rp 19.05.2014.
· Rnu#.; rP./ kjpuh$d;/ bt.nfh./ kw;Wk; ,uh. ,uhn$e;jpud;. tay;fs;/ nrkpg;g[ fpl';Ffspy; vyp XHpg;g[ gapw;rp. jpdkyh; / jpUr;rp 25.09.2014.
Name : Dr.S. Suresh
Designation : Professor & Head
Specialization : IPM & Coccid Identification
Phone : 94434 30232
E-Mail : email@example.com
Designation : Assistant Professor
Specialization : Rice IMP, Chemical ecology
Phone : 94425 62567
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Name : Dr. P.G.Kavitha
Designation : Asst.Professor (Nematology)
Specialization : Bio management & Molecular Diagnostics of plant parasitic
Phone : 9944708010
E-Mail : email@example.com